What To Do if Involved in a Hit and Run Accident

Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys

If you’ve been involved in a hit‑and‑run accident, there are a couple of things that you should do to maximize your potential recovery. First, you should make sure that there is an accident report.

A thorough accident report and investigation by the police can help to identify the person who caused the accident, which would then allow you to make a claim against that person or his or her insurance company. This investigation should be done by professionals; do NOT attempt to investigate an accident scene yourself. Although you may think that you are saving money by doing so, you could actually end up costing yourself more money in the end due to incomplete evidence that fails to prove the at-fault driver. A legal team will have the investigative resources you need.

You also want to talk to any witnesses and get any information from them that you can. Again, however, it is important that you leave this to an attorney who knows the right questions to ask. In addition, any photographs you can get of the scene can help identify the at‑fault driver.

One key thing to keep in mind is that if there is no at‑fault driver who can be located or found, you can make a claim for something called uninsured motorist, which is on almost every auto insurance policy here in Alabama. You can make a claim for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and out‑of‑pocket expenses. We deal with this a lot in our office here at Martinson & Beason, P.C.

If you’ve been hit by a hit‑and‑run driver and they can’t locate that driver, there are still legal options for you that you should explore. Read our car accident FAQs here.

Read More about Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Many people have to rely on their uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (UM or UIM) in order to recover money for their damages and injuries when they are involved in a hit-and-run accident. Approximately 25 percent of drivers in Alabama are uninsured, which is why it is so important that you understand your policy. By consulting a car accident attorney who can advise you as to the best policy for your specific situation, you can feel confident that you have the coverage you need in case something should happen on the road that leaves you with expensive repair and medical bills.

Read about uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage here.

Contact the Huntsville, Alabama, car accident attorneys at Martinson & Beason, P.C. to set up a free consultation, and we can get you on your way to a more sure future.