Many people in the United States assume the majority of personal injury lawsuits are frivolous, brought by those who seek to make an “easy buck.” In reality, according to the Rand Institute for Civil Justice, only about ten percent of those who receive a moderate to severe injury will seek compensation—and only about two percent will actually follow through with a lawsuit. While the U.S. population has continued to increase, personal injury lawsuits have actually decreased nearly 21 percent since 1991. According to the most recent data from the National Center for State Courts, personal injury cases currently represent only about 5 percent of all civil cases. Obviously, these statistics show the notion that we live in an overly litigious society are simply not true.
Personal injury lawsuits are filed when a person exhibited a failure to act in the same manner a reasonable person would have done, given the same circumstance, or exhibited negligence. Such behavior, or the lack of a reasonable response to a situation can lead to an accident in which another person suffers injury. The primary type of personal injury claims result from automobile accidents. Other types of personal injury claims include medical malpractice, dog bites, nursing home abuse, product liability injuries, slip and fall injuries, injuries resulting from an assault, and injuries from construction accidents.
The Huntsville, Alabama law firm of Martinson & Beason represent individuals who have been injured through the negligence of another. Our goal is to secure maximum compensation on your behalf, allowing you to focus on healing and get rid of the stress of worrying about your financial situation. The Martinson & Beason law firm has been supplying trusted legal advice since 1937. We truly care about your well-being, and understand the challenges you face following your injury. With a strong tradition of excellence in protecting the rights of accident and injury victims, our many legal accolades only strengthen our ability to assist our clients during difficult times. Some of our firm’s honors and awards include the following:
Better Business Bureau Accredited
Martinson & Beason, P.C. is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau, meeting all BBB standards which include a commitment to resolving any client concern. Our firm received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Martinson & Beason’s former clients have spoken, and, without exception, have given the firm top marks. With more than fifty-one, five-star Google reviews to their credit, the firm’s reputation and experience level are top-notch.
Super Lawyers – Rising Star
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding attorneys who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Attorney Morris Lilienthal has been selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star for three years in a row (2013, 2014 and 2015). This selection is a result of peer evaluation, peer nominations and independent research.
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated
Our Huntsville, Alabama personal injury attorneys have received the coveted AV rating by Martindale-Hubble. The Martindale-Hubble Law Director features peer review ratings. Three of the Martinson & Beason attorneys are featured in the Directory. Attorney Douglas C. Martinson II received a 4.8 out of 5.0 in peer reviews and a 5.0 out of 5.0 in client reviews. Attorney A. Mac Martinson received a 4.6 out of 5.0 in peer reviews and a 5.0 out of 5.0 in client reviews in the Directory, and attorney Morris Lilienthal received a 4.9 out of 5.0 in peer reviews.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Our firm is a notable member of, and has been featured on, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which showcases the most distinguished collection of trial lawyers in the United States who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements.
Each partner at Martinson & Beason has received a top rating on Avvo, a third-party company that compiles ratings and information for attorneys. Attorney Douglas C. Martinson II has been licensed to practice law in the state for 26 years. Doug has a client rating of five stars (the best rating possible), and an Avvo rating of 10 out 10. Attorney A. Mac Martinson has been licensed for 24 years, and has a client rating of 5.0 stars, with an Avvo rating of 9.2 out of 10. Attorney Morris Lilienthal, has been licensed in the state for 12 years. Mr. Lilienthal has a client rating of 5.0 stars, and an Avvo rating of 10 out of 10. Our firm was awarded the 2015 client’s choice award for personal injury.
Personal Injury Claims in Huntsville, Alabama
Personal injury claims in Huntsville, Alabama, represent an unacceptable loss of human life, health and productivity. Personal injury claims are the result of another’s careless behavior, and while accidents may be a common occurrence, they can also bring pain, frustration and confusion on the part of the injured person. Medical bills may be mounting alarmingly following an injury, and the injured person may be unable to work, due to the nature of the injuries. There are several facts about personal injury claims you should be aware of. These facts, coupled with the representation of a knowledgeable Huntsville, Alabama attorney, can greatly influence the outcome of your personal injury case.
- When an insurance company makes a quick settlement offer, the chances that offer is a fair one is very slim. Insurance companies have a goal of increasing their financial bottom line through limiting the amount they are forced to pay for damages and medical expenses. Trusting an insurance claims adjuster to have your best interests at heart can leave your future in financial ruin.
- Most personal injury cases—almost 94 percent—settle out of court. Once you have an attorney on board, your personal injury case can settle quickly, with a fair settlement on your behalf.
- If you don’t have an attorney handling your personal injury case, you must be aware of the statute of limitations applicable in your case. Each state has their own statutes of limitation, which determine how long consumers have to file suit for an injury received due to another’s negligence. Such statutes also vary according to the type of lawsuit being filed. Should you miss the allowable time limit, you could be barred from filing your personal injury lawsuit. Your Huntsville personal injury attorney will have knowledge of all the time limits associated with your specific case, and will ensure no deadlines are missed.
- The discovery process for a personal injury case can be fairly time-consuming; discovery occurs when both sides exchange requested information, and will occur when a settlement is not forthcoming, and a trial is the next step.
- Your compensation will depend on the facts of your case, however you might expect to receive reimbursement for past medical expenses as well as payment for present and future medical expenses as well as lost earnings (past and future), pain and suffering, property damage compensation and, in certain cases, punitive damages. Punitive damages are relatively rare, as they occur when malicious or intentional actions caused the accident. Punitive damages are meant to both punish the offender as well as to deter others from the same type of actions.
- Your case may take a considerable amount of time to settle, particularly if you go to trial. Far too many people end up accepting a quick settlement, out of frustration and the overwhelming pressure of medical expenses and the inability to work. It is important to recognize that when you hire a Huntsville personal injury attorney, your settlement could take months, however you are far more likely to receive a truly equitable settlement which addresses all of your losses. Personal injury cases which go to trial can take as long as two years to reach a resolution (although most do not take this long), but you are more likely to receive a significant settlement.
- It is crucial to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible following your injury, as time and evidence are crucial to the eventual success of your case.
Having an experienced Huntsville personal injury attorney in your corner can mean the difference between a positive and a negative outcome in your case. A Martinson & Beason personal injury attorney will fight for your rights and your future. We know how to get through the red tape and bureaucracy which often come with personal injury cases, and we have vast experience negotiating with insurance companies and other attorneys. Call a Martinson & Beason attorney today for quality, experienced representation.