How to Obtain Your Free Credit Report

As Alabama Consumer Rights Attorneys, we know how important it is for consumers to check their credit report and verify everything on it. In today’s computer age when people are routinely paying bills and making purchases etc… on the internet your identity is more likely to be stolen now more than ever. Set forth below is how any consumer can obtain a yearly free copy of their credit report. Be careful; however, there are many companies out there that say they can get you your free credit report, but what they don’t tell you is you have to sign up for a monthly service.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”) is a federal law that provides consumers with rights and remedies. It is important to consumers for credit reporting agencies (“CRAs”) to maintain accurate and complete consumer credit records. Consumers have the right to know what is in their file. Consumers are entitled to one free credit report from each of the three nationwide CRAs (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union) once in a 12 month time period. The CRA must provide the consumer with their credit report within fifteen days of receiving the request.

The credit reporting agency may request additional identifying information from the consumer before it sends the credit report, but the CRA may only do so to process the consumer’s request, process a simultaneous transaction as requested by the consumer, update the consumer’s personal identifier, or comply with any of the other requirements of the FCRA.

A consumer may request all three credit reports in the following ways:

  1. Online
  2. By Telephone 1-877-322-8228
  3. By Mail: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.

If you have you have been denied credit, employment or insurance because of incorrect information on your credit report, then you may be entitled to money damages.
If you have discovered incorrect information on your credit report and the credit reporting agency has refused to delete or modify the information, then you may be entitled to money damages.

If you have requested a free copy of your credit report once in a twelve month time period, and the credit reporting agency has failed or refused to provide you with your credit report, then you may be entitled to money damages.

If you have been a victim of consumer fraud or identity theft contact Martinson & Beason, P.C. for a free legal consultation with one of our Alabama consumer protection lawyers. Call Toll Free at 1-800-255-6534.